When the sun goes down, the Gaslamp San Diego CA lights up! The 16 square-block area of San Diego downtown is known for its hot nightlife and high-profile, cutting-edge restaurants. The historic Gaslamp Quarter is undergoing a major face lift with the renovation of Horton Plaza. Efforts are underway to make Gaslamp and the San Diego downtown area into a hot spot for major civic activities and to revitalize the iconic Balboa Theater. City planners have likened the future of Horton Plaza to Union Square in San Francisco and Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland, Oregon. The project is expected to be completed mid-2015.
Surrounding the renovation efforts of Horton Plaza are a number of both trendy and beloved restaurants and unique retails stores. Celebrity Chef Brian Malarkey’s Searsucker, the newest Tender Greens location, regular hotspot JSix, and upscale Mexican restaurant Don Chido (opening May 2014).
From the San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, you can easily walk to the open-air Petco Park, home to the San Diego Padres. Enjoy a true piece of Americana as you enjoy a cold beer and a hot dog. For a very family-friendly outing, Sunland RV Resorts recommends heading from San Diego downtown to the San Diego Harbor. The just-opened Headquarters (home to the brand new pizza joint, Pizzeria Mozza, from Celebrity Chef Mario Batali) and Seaport Village offer a number of kid-friendly activities. Take a walk along the waters edge to the USS Midway. This retired aircraft carrier is a regular top San Diego attraction, and a true icon of San Diego’s maritime history.
Whether you’re seeking a San Diego dining experience or a night out on the town, Gaslamp San Diego, CA is where it’s at! Using the Santa Fe Station, downtown San Diego is easily accessed from San Diego RV Resort using the convenient trolley.
What to Love
- Hands down, the variety of restaurants offering vast menu options.
- Sipping on a cold drink at an outdoor patio table on a warm day.
- Walking the streets and admiring the historic buildings.
- Views of downtown, San Diego Bay and the Coronado Bridge from one of the rooftop bars.
- The interactive exhibits at the New Children’s Museum.
What to Know
- Some of the restaurants in the Gaslamp are 21+ only.
- Parking can be a challenge, consider public transportation.
- 3 hours of free parking is available at the Horton Plaza mall with validation.
- Like any downtown area, it is always better to travel in groups at night.
- Taxis and pedicabs can easily be found throughout the Gaslamp Quarter.